My bf and I were in Los Angeles, CA during the summer and our friend, Richard, who was also our tour guide of the day, brought us to Daiso. It is a Japanese version of an American 99 cents store, but Daiso has so many more items that are cute, functional and maybe a bit more durable. We fell in love with the store and wished we had it near where we live. We were intrigued by this charcoal face mask and got it to try. I don’t remember the exact price but it was no more than $2-3. It can also be found on Amazon. The English instructions on the product reads:
How to Use:
- After cleansing your face, evenly apply on the nose area and let it dry for 10-15 min.
- Do not use more than 2x per week.
- For sensitive skin, apply facial essence before using and slowly peel it off starting at the top toward the bottom.
- When you use this product, you should check your skin condition such as having skin trouble.
- Do not apply it on a wound or eczema.
- If you find red spot on the skin or feel itching in using, please stop using and see a doctor.
- Be careful that it can not be inside of eyes. If it is inside of eyes, then wash the eyes with water.
- Put the lid back on after using it.
- Avoid direct sunlight, too high or low temperature and humid space.
- Do not let the children reach it.
We did not find these instructions to be sufficient, and so we used this guide found on another blog here.
For some background, I have very dry and sensitive skin. What I mean by that is that my skin often times gets itchy and red when products are applied, especially scented ones. It’s also very dry where I’ve had to put Vaseline overnight during the winter months when my face can’t handle the dry and cold climate. Lotion and sometimes certain creams are not enough to keep my skin hydrated the entire day.
Using that guide as a reference, here were our steps:
- Clean face with facial scrub and wash during the shower.
- Pat (not rub!) the face dry.
- Have a piece of tissue ready beside the product. Pull back any hair away from your face.
- Decide the location for application. For first timers, I would suggest a small area that you know is not very sensitive such as the T-zone or chin. Also advise to place it on a less hairy area as it can hurt when pulling the mask off the face.
- Once you open the lid, immediately squeeze some on your finger. Do not leave it open and put it down as it continues to ooze out and will be messy to clean.
- Be generous with the application. Make sure that it is evenly applied and no skin is showing through.
- Depending on the size of the area that was applied, it can vary between 15-25 mins for mask to dry. You want the mask to be completely dry before pulling it off. For me, I placed it on my nose for the first time and that took about 15 mins to dry. I later placed it on my T-zone and cheeks and that has taken up to 25 mins to completely dry. And the thicker the application, the longer it takes to dry too.
- As the mask dries, you will feel it tighten on your skin. You may even feel an itch, but do not be tempted to scratch. Do something else that will require the use of your hands for some time.
- When you are certain that it is all dry, pull back the skin from one edge of the mask to start the peeling process. Be gentle with the process so that the mask can peel off in one whole piece.
After using it for the first time, I did not notice much on the mask. Supposedly you can see lots of gunk on it, but I mostly just saw very teeny tiny white specks on the mask. My nose actually has a lot of pores and black looking too (black pores?). My nose did feel noticeably smoother and the pores look tighter? At least for a person with sensitive skin like me, my skin had no problems with this mask.
One month later, I place it on my nose and cheeks. That took almost 25 mins to dry.
Again, I did not see much on the mask after peeling it off. In conclusion, this product doesn’t do much in pulling gunk off my face except making it smoother. It is fun though and even funnier to apply it on with someone else. I just have to say that I agree with the mixed online reviews about this product.