Sometimes we just want to eat some tender spiced up meat like pulled pork sandwiches. We have found the easiest pulled pork recipe made by Pat Tanumihardja. This recipe doesn’t require any slow-cooker or pressure cooker. This tastes very good even without any BBQ sauce. I remember exclaiming “I LOVE PULLED PORK!” after trying this the first time we made it. We love how many portions it results and makes awesome leftovers. This dish is a crowd-pleaser. The only down-side is that you do have to plan a little bit ahead of time.
Time: 4 hours, 10 minutes active
Makes: 10-12 servings
- 3 to 3-1/2 pound boneless pork butt/shoulder
- 1 tablespoon ground smoked paprika
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chile powder (or more to taste)
- any BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray’s recommended)
- buns for making sandwiches
- Oven-safe pot with lid that is large enough to contain the pork
- large platter/serving dish
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- Place the cleaned pork into a large pot. Apply dry rub (paprika, salt, cumin, cinnamon, chile powder) to pork. Pre-mix the dry rub before applying to pork for more even distribution. Make sure you get into all the nooks and crannies.
- Cover pot with lid and put in oven for 3.5 hrs.
- After 3.5 hrs, the pork should be tender and falls apart when you prod it with a fork. Transfer (carefully, it will fall apart) from the pot and place in a large platter.
- Shred with tongs (or whatever).
- Mix in BBQ sauce if desired.
You can place these in sandwiches or serve with rice and steamed vegetables or other plainer tasting side dishes since the pulled pork has a strong flavor.
We sometimes eat it without the sauce, but when we do add the sauce, we use Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce. If you haven’t tried this sauce yet, you are really missing out.
Tip: Do not pour out the residual sauce from the pot. Pour some over the meats after serving to your plate for extra juiciness. Reserve the sauce for any leftovers if they look dry after reheating them.
Note: Do not leave the pork for longer than 3.5 hrs as it will make the pulled pork taste very salty, which happened to us once.